Osaree Akaraborworn,Onuma Chaiwat,Sunisa Chatmongkolchart,Chanatthee Kitsiripant,Kaweesak Chittawatanarat,Sunthiti Morakul,Thammasak Thawitsri,Petch Wacharasint,Sujaree Poopipatpab,Waraporn Chau-In,Chaiyapruk Kusumaphanyo.[J].中华创伤杂志英文版,2019,22(4):219-222
Prediction of massive transfusion in trauma patients in the surgical intensive care units (THAI-SICU study)
  
DOI:
KeyWord: Massive transfusionMassive bleedingSurgical intensive careMultiple trauma
FundProject:
Author NameAffiliation
Osaree Akaraborworn Division of Trauma and Critical Care, Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Prince of Songkla University, Hat Yai, Songkhla, Thailand 
Onuma Chaiwat Department of Anesthesiology, Faculty of Medicine, Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand 
Sunisa Chatmongkolchart Department of Anesthesiology, Faculty of Medicine, Prince of Songkla University, Hat Yai, Songkhla, Thailand 
Chanatthee Kitsiripant Department of Anesthesiology, Faculty of Medicine, Prince of Songkla University, Hat Yai, Songkhla, Thailand 
Kaweesak Chittawatanarat Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai, Thailand 
Sunthiti Morakul Department of Anesthesiology, Faculty of Medicine, Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand 
Thammasak Thawitsri Department of Anesthesiology, Faculty of Medicine, King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital, Bangkok, Chulalongkorn University, Thailand 
Petch Wacharasint Department of Anesthesiology, Phramongkutklao Hospital, Bangkok, Thailand 
Sujaree Poopipatpab Department of Anesthesiology, Navamindradhiraj University, Bangkok, Thailand 
Waraporn Chau-In Department of Anesthesiology, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen, Thailand 
Chaiyapruk Kusumaphanyo Department of Anesthesiology, Faculty of Medicine, Srinakharinwirot University, Nakhon Nayok, Thailand 
Hits:
Download times:
Abstract:
      Purpose: After damage control surgery, trauma patients are transferred to intensive care units to restore the physiology. During this period, massive transfusion might be required for ongoing bleeding and coagulopathy. This research aimed to identify predictors of massive blood transfusion in the surgical intensive care units (SICUs). Methods: This is an analysis of the THAI-SICU study which was a prospective cohort that was done in the 9-university-based SICUs in Thailand. The study included only patients admitted due to trauma mechanisms. Massive transfusion was defined as received 10 units of packed red blood cells on the first day of admission. Patient characteristics and physiologic data were analyzed to identify the potential factors. A multivariable regression was then performed to identify the significant model. Results: Three hundred and seventy patients were enrolled. Sixteen patients (5%) received massive transfusion in the SICUs. The factors that significantly predicted massive transfusion were an initial sequential organ failure assessment (SOFA) ≥9 (risk difference (RD) 0.13, 95% confidence interval (CI): 0.03-0.22, p = 0.01); intra-operative blood loss ≥4900 mL (RD 0.33, 95% CI: 0.04-0.62, p = 0.02) and intra-operative blood transfusion ≥10 units (RD 0.45, 95% CI: 0.06 to 0.84, p = 0.02). The probability to have massive transfusion was 0.976 in patients who had these 3 factors. Conclusion: Massive blood transfusion in the SICUs occurred in 5%. An initial SOFA ≥9, intra-operative blood loss ≥4900 mL, and intra-operative blood transfusion 10 units were the significant factors to predict massive transfusion in the SICUs.
View Full Text   View/Add Comment  Download reader
Close