Bekir Nihat Dogrul,Ibrahim Kiliccalan,Ekrem Samet Asci,Selim Can Peker.[J].中华创伤杂志英文版,2020,23(3):125-138
Blunt trauma related chest wall and pulmonary injuries: An overview
  
DOI:
KeyWord: Blunt chest traumaRib fracturesPneumothoraxHemothoraxPulmonary contusionPain management
FundProject:
Author NameAffiliation
Bekir Nihat Dogrul Gulhane Medical School, University of Health Sciences, Ankara, Turkey 
Ibrahim Kiliccalan Gulhane Medical School, University of Health Sciences, Ankara, Turkey 
Ekrem Samet Asci Gulhane Medical School, University of Health Sciences, Ankara, Turkey 
Selim Can Peker Gulhane Medical School, University of Health Sciences, Ankara, Turkey 
Hits:
Download times:
Abstract:
      Physical traumas are tragic and multifaceted injuries that suddenly threaten life. Although it is the third most common cause of death in all age groups, one out of four trauma patients die due to thoracic injury or its complications. Blunt injuries constitute the majority of chest trauma. This indicates the importance of chest trauma among all traumas. Blunt chest trauma is usually caused by motor vehicle accident, falling from height, blunt instrument injury and physical assault. As a result of chest trauma, many injuries may occur, such as pulmonary injuries, and these require urgent intervention. Chest wall and pulmonary injuries range from rib fractures to flail chest, pneumothorax to hemothorax and pulmonary contusion to tracheobronchial injuries. Following these injuries, patients may present with a simple dyspnea or even respiratory arrest. For such patient, it is important to understand the treatment logic and to take a multidisciplinary approach to treat the pulmonary and chest wall injuries. This is because only 10% of thoracic trauma patients require surgical operation and the remaining 90% can be treated with simple methods such as appropriate airway, oxygen support, maneuvers, volume support and tube thoracostomy. Adequate pain control in chest trauma is sometimes the most basic and best treatment. With definite diagnosis, the morbidity and mortality can be significantly reduced by simple treatment methods.
View Full Text   View/Add Comment  Download reader
Close